Gluten Free Lemon & Lavender Oven Chicken with Mustard Mash

Monday, March 4, 2013

Tender chicken thighs dressed in a fragrant and tangy lemon and lavender sauce! Served with a delicious mustard mashed potato.

Lemon and Lavender Oven Chicken with Mustard Mash | I love how juicy this chicken is! It's a perfect spring dinner from Anyonita Nibbles

Yield 2 to 4 servings

Lemon & Lavender Oven Chicken with Mustard Mash 

Ever since I purchased my first pot of culinary lavender to make up lavender macarons, I have become obsessed with finding other uses for it. I love the way it subtly fragrances food and how, when eating food made with lavender (and most flowers, actually) you smell it before you taste it. So, when thumbing through Rachel Khoo's lovely cookbook, "The Little Paris Kitchen"I came across a beautifully photographed recipe for Poulet au citron et lavande. I was immediately smitten and thrilled to discover that the ingredients the recipe calls for were things that I always keep in my larder. As always, I've tweaked the recipe a bit and my instructions and ingredient list will reflect that.

A tray of succulent and juicy lemon and lavender oven chicken | Anyonita Nibbles


Ingredients:

For the lemon and lavender chicken
1 tbsp thyme
2 unwaxed lemons, zest and juice of one, the other sliced
2 tbsp culinary lavender
4 to 8 chicken thighs
4 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp honey
salt

For the mustard mash
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tbsp milk
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp mayonnaise
5 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and chopped
salt
pepper
chives

Instructions:

Lemon & Lavender Oven Chicken with Mustard Mash
  1. Marinate the chicken overnight in the refrigerator by combining the lavender, honey, thyme and the zest and juice of the lemons. Ensure each piece of chicken is thoroughly coated in the marinade.
  2. Preheat oven to 200C /400F. Tumble the chicken into a large roasting dish and sprinkle with salt. Roast for 25 minutes. 
  3. Place a slice of lemon onto each piece of chicken and return to the oven for a further 20 minutes or until cooked through.
  4. Boil the potatoes while the chicken is cooking. Drain and mash using a potato masher or fork. Combine the mayonnaise, mustard powder, butter and milk with salt and pepper and the potatoes and stir well until smooth. Serve with chives.
  5. Drizzle the pan juices over the chicken the mash before serving.
Rachel Khoo inspired Lemon & Lavender Oven Chicken with Mustard Mash | Anyonita Nibbles




6 comments:

  1. Looks so good, and I'm always looking for new chicken recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always looking for good chicken recipes too! You can never have enough chicken recipes can you? :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Anyonita! I wanted to thank you for joining the Rock 'N Share party at the Shady Porch! Welcome! Your recipe really sounds good. I am pinning it to my Chicken board on Pinterest. Your pictures turned out wonderfully also! They make your dish look especially appetizing! Thanks again and I hope to see more of your recipes at future Rock 'N Share parties! Blessings, D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pinning the recipe, D! Let me know if you make it; I really enjoyed it :) I will definitely be participating in Rock N Share in the future; I've added it to my Where I Party list :)

      Delete
  3. This looks SO good! And the perfect fresh dish for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. G'day! This looks gorgeous! Now on my list to do! Love lavender and can almost smell the chicken through the screen too!
    Cheers! Joanne
    http://whatsonthelist.net

    ReplyDelete

What do you think of this recipe? Be sure to tag me in any recipes you make on social media and use #anyonitanibbles!